Jury fails to reach verdicts in Giggs assault trial

The jury in the trial of Ryan Giggs has been discharged after failing to reach verdicts on any of the three counts he faced during the four-week domestic violence case.

Mr Giggs, 48, denied using controlling and coercive behaviour against his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville, 38, between August 2017 and November 2020, assaulting her, causing actual bodily harm, and the common assault of her younger sister, Emma Greville, 26.

The 11 jurors at Manchester Crown Court had been out considering their verdicts for 22 hours and 59 minutes before they were brought back into court at 3.04pm.

Judge Hilary Manley asked if they had reached a verdict on any counts on which a majority of ten to one had agreed.

The foreman of the jury answered: “No.”

Asked if there was any “realistic prospect” of them reaching verdicts if given more time, the foreman again answered: “No.”

Judge Manley then thanked the jurors and discharged them.

She warned all the jurors not to discuss the case as there may be another trial of the case in the future.

Lawyers will now have to consider the public interest of a retrial, but any further trial would only take place many months from now.

Mr Giggs made no reaction during the short hearing.

During the trial, Mr Giggs denied “losing control” and headbutting Kate Greville and assaulting her sister Emma by elbowing her in the jaw, during a row at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester on 1 November 2020.

Jurors first went out to consider verdicts late on the afternoon of Tuesday 23 August.

The jury of 12 was later reduced to 11 after one juror went sick and was discharged.

Judge Manley yesterday gave the jurors a majority direction, meaning they did not have to return unanimous verdicts agreed by all 11, but could return verdicts if a majority of ten to one agreed.

New trial could be next June

Mr Giggs’ head dropped down when the judge told the court any future trial could potentially be as far away as June of next year, but stressed any date has yet to be set.

Judge Manley then turned to Mr Giggs, who stood in the dock.

She told him he would be bailed until Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) lawyers meet and make a decision on any future trial and a trial date is made.

A hearing will take place at the same court next week.

Judge Manley told Mr Giggs: “I have permitted the prosecution a short period of time to consider their position. More will be clear in a week’s time.

“In the meantime you may have bail on the same terms as hithertoo.”

He was excused from attending the next hearing on 7 September.

Leave a Comment